Friday, August 10, 2012

CLEOPATRA (1934)

I'm sure Cecil B. DeMille's 1934 epic CLEOPATRA is about as historically accurate as STARSHIP TROOPERS, but I enjoyed it. It opens with Cleopatra tied up and taken out into the desert where she's dumped off and told that if she returns she will be killed. That's not stopping her though, because she knows that Caesar is coming, so she uses all her charms to seduce him. Naturally this doesn't sit pretty with Caesar's wife back home so all kinds of stuff pops off.

Fans of older cinema will enjoy the spectacle of it all (the costumes, the crowd scenes, the sets, Claudette Colbert vamping it up), but without any nudity, excessive violence or CG effects I think modern audiences would probably find it to be a bore.

If you need me I'll be in my room watching "Rome".
Henry Wilcoxon was in the movie business for over 50 years! He even showed up in CADDYSHACK!!!