Sunday, June 21, 2015

STONE (1974)

Watchable biker movie about a undercover cop who's ridin' with a motorcycle gang to see who's been picking them off one-by-one assassination style.  As far as biker movies go, STONE is fairly lightweight.  The main thing these bikers do is just lay around in their hideaway all day and night smoking weed and talking about how cool they are.  Occasionally they drive down to the bar to get a drink and talk about how cool they are.  That's about it.  Still though, I kinda enjoyed it, the music was especially awesome.  I just wish that they did something!

I appreciate the cultural/cinematic significance of STONE (and the hard work that went into making it) but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't hold up very well.  Yeah, the characters are all likeable, but the whole thing is just too tame.  There's barely any violence, only a few quick glimpses of nudity, lightweight drug use, light cussing.  If you're into cult movies, biker movies and/or 70's Australian cinema then you'll probably enjoy it but most other people would just see it as dated and lacking.

I do want to give a shout out to whoever the stunt person was that jumped off the cliff into the water.  That was amazing!!!  It was also cool to see a pre-MAD MAX Toecutter. "The Nightrider. That is his name...the Nightrider."

If you need me I'll be in my room watching STONE COLD.